Saturday, January 25, 2014

Midieval Sham to Holiday Glam Dress!

Phew! This dress was a long way in the making!

Do you remember a little (long) while ago when I had the Towel-Head Dress Challenge? Well, I just finished one! Aren't you proud of me??

There's no winner for this dress, as nobody suggested what I ended up doing. (But you can still make suggestions for the other dresses! Click the link above and comment!!)

So I started with this forest green number.
Semi-midieval?

My first step was to make it slightly more fitted at the waist.
Turn it inside out, pin it and sew!

And then came the CHOP!
But a very artistic chop, no?

This is one of those blogs where I really didn't take enough pictures for all the steps I made. Don't worry - you'll still get the idea. :)
So instead of hemming the new bottom to my dress, I used my burn tool to singe the edges. No more fraying going on there!

My  next step was to deal with that green stripey guy.
I pinned the hems together so the fabric placement wouldn't be lost, then picked out the seams!

So then I took a length of sheer curtain material I'd been given, and draped it around the dress, pinning to the seams.
The dress is still inside out here, btw :)

It's hard to show what I did next, but basically I put the white material in front of the green triangle, repinning the green behind the white as I went, and sewed it all together.
So now the green is like a modesty panel behind the sheer white. Makes sense?

I used my burn tool on the white to cut the extra off, and to remove the obvious "I was a curtain" hem that was on there. 
Then I stitched the white to the seams of the dress!
So I only sewed on the seam there, so no stitches would show through on the skirt.
Lots of back-stitching in a little area - so almost more like a tack.

And then it was time to tackle those sleeves!
More burn-tool action!

Lastly, I decided the front needed a little design to really finish this off.
Cut carefully!

And that was it! Tadah!

We even had snow for the occasion!

I love the asymetrical draping of the white under-skirt!

And the back goes up in a V - like a flower!

Check out those poinsettias! Don't you want to wear this to your next holiday party?

One Towel-Head dress down . . . Three to go! Pop over to the Towel-Head Challenge post and give you suggestions! (There may or may not be cookies involved if you do . . . ;)

Thank you for reading! Mwa!

No comments:

Post a Comment