Friday, January 17, 2014

'Meh' to 'Marvelous!' shirt refashion - take 2!

So you remember that bright green shirt - and how I tried to turn it into a skirt, but it didn't work?
Well, I had another shirt EXACTLY like it, except it was white. So why not try the same idea again, having learned from my earlier mistakes?

Shirt to skirt refashion, take 2!

I decided for this one to cut straight all the way across the top, instead of leaving a funny round hole like I did last time.
Notice that I didn't cut into the sleeves at all. That's important for later.

I pinned closer to the sleeve-seam as well, and made a nice straight line with my seam.
Pull 'em out as you go!

Because of last time's fiasco, I tried it on right after I'd sewn the second seem. The results???

No dice, guys. At least for my tender, modest sensibilities, I'm thinking t-shirt skirts are going to be just too tight on me.
BUT! I already knew how to save this! But I didn't want to do the exact same thing as last time.

Trim off the excess! Save those sleeves!

I flipped it upside down, so the wide, hemmed bottom became the new top - and then I gathered the new top into pleats to make it fitted!
Gasp! Instant tube-top!
Here's an up-close of the pins on the inside, in case you were wondering :)

The bottom needed hemming now, so I made a nice flat hem with a zig-zag stitch to preserve stretchiness.
I know, the pins are facing the wrong direction. OOPS. It just means a tiny bit more work as you go, no biggie.

The pleats needed to be hand-sewed together, as they'd be too thick for my poor machine.
Carefully doing some invisible stitching to hold it all together!

Now remember those sleeves I was so careful not to damage during the first cut? Good thing I saved 'em!
I trimmed them both into thick, slightly curved straps.

And once again sewed a lettuce-hem around that raw edge with a zig-zag stitch.
Make sure to pull tight as you go, or you won't get those pretty ruffles!

So then it was just pin those buggers on, sew 'em up, and there you have it!
TA-DAH!!!
Oooooh!

I have to say, I think I'm the most happy about this one than any I've done in a while!
Ahhhh!

So there you go! Two different shirt refashions from the same basic style! What will YOU do with your tshirts??

Mwa! <3



No comments:

Post a Comment