Saturday, January 4, 2014

Dressy skirt to Dress-Skirt!

Happy new year, everybody!

It was my hope to have a fabulous Christmas/New Years refashion for you, but that dress is still in the works. (Maybe you'll see it by . . . St. Patrick's day.)

Today's refashion is quick and painless! I started off with this donated skirt:
Hmmm . . .

It's got a nice print, and I love the length (I'm all about the maxis!), but it needs some work before HopeCycle can have it's way with it!

If you look closely, you can see that the waistline isn't hemmed AT ALL at the top - fray city!
"help meee!"

The first thing I did was pull the stretchy inner lining out, like so;

And I cut out some arm holes!
That jaggedy edge up there . . . that's going to be an arm hole. Trust me.

The arm holes just needed a quick hemming.
With a zig zag stitch!
And the waist got itself a rolled hem to catch all those frays!
More zig-zagging!

And there you have it!
TA-DAH!
A dress with a cowl-neck!
Or a capelet!
Or a draped back!
Or pin it up into an empire-waist! (Pay no attention to my slip, there...)

The neckline options are endless! And in case you can't see the differences very well, here's some sketches to make it more clear.
These sketches use croquis from the Pocket Fashion Sketchbook (yay, Christmas presents!)

And what's great is, you still have the skirt, fully functional! Woohoo!

Thanks for sticking around guys! Mwa!


No comments:

Post a Comment