Wednesday, January 15, 2014

'Meh' to 'Marvelous!' t-shirt refashion!

How's your winter going? Ours is turning rather warm at the moment - no complaints here! And in honor of this spring-like weather, I bring you a summery t-shirt refashion!

I started out with this lovely donation here:
Howww shall I do eet?

Taking inspiration from Jillian over at Refashionista, I wanted to try turning a shirt into a skirt! Seems simple, yes?

I started by snipping off the collar.
Bye, itchy tag!

And then widened the opening by 1-2 inches on each side.
Eyeballing totally fine here.

I then pinned (forgot to photograph that step, sorry!!) and sewed a diagonal line up each side from an inch above the bottom up to the old shoulders.
Say "g'bye", sleeves!

I tried it on. There was actually a lot of trying on and fiddling at this point . . . and I finally gave in and realized it just wasn't going to work. Not as a skirt . . . too tight. (I'll save you the embarrassment of showing you the evidence :D)
This is why it's always good to let something rest when you're frustrated with working on it! I'm SO glad I didn't stop there and give up.

The next day I tried it back on and realized it made a really CUTE baby-doll shirt - it just needed straps!
Quick, get those sleeves you just chopped off!
Snip them free of the remains of the shirt, and then snip the sleeve open.

The original sleeve hem was going to be my strap, and the wide part the new cap-sleeve. It need hemming!
zig-zag stitch, and stretch the fabric as you go, and what do you get?
These super cute lettuce hems!
I ended up having to trim the sleeves back and needing to hem them AGAIN, but you get the idea.
I tried it on and pinned the new sleeves where they'd give me optimal coverage

And then sewed those buggers on!
Whrrrr!

The last little step was hand tacking the straps to the top of the shirt so there wouldn't be any weird floppy bits.
So that's the bottom of the sleeve/strap on the left, and I'm sewing it to the top of the shirt. Clear as mud?

And that's it! TADAHHH!
A nice long baby-doll!
Look how cute those new sleeves are!
And check out the back!

I'm rather proud of how this turned out! What do you think? Seems doable? I'd love to see your shirt refashions!

Mwa~!

No comments:

Post a Comment