Friday, June 7, 2013

Awkward Dress to Sparkly Skirt Tutorial

This pretty donation has LOTS going for it; layering, side-ruching, sparkles . . . too bad it doesn't fit!

I'm also not a big fan of the whole halter/v-neck thing.

This was an easy one! I started by pinning the two layers together so that the fabric wouldn't get weird.
Right under the bustline!

And then I started to chop!
Snip snip snip!

Keeping the pins in place, I turned the dress inside out and folded over a large hem. When I was satisfied, I carefully took the pins out and then repinned them through the folded layers.
See where this is going?
I made a little rolled hem, but as you can see, I've made an inch and a half wide tube - for an elastic waistband!
Now, I don't have thread to match this material . . . so I made do with purple for my upper thread and black for my bobbin thread.
The purple's on the inside, and the black's on the outside! No one will ever know! XD

And then I started to sew!
Well . . . I almost started to sew. Right here is when my sweet husband came in and reminded me that I'd left rice cooking on the stove. I ran like the wind.  ...Apparently rice can be 15 minutes over cooked and still be okay. Hopefully. :D We'll find out at supper tonight.

So once I came back and actually finished sewing, I made sure to leave about two inches of space so I could fit my elastic through. 
Make your life easier; put a safety pin on the end you're threading!

Then I sewed the ends of the elastic together and sewed up the little hole! All done!

TaDah!

The great thing about this skirt is the stretchiness; it's comfy and airy, and you can wear it any point on your waist - empire, natural, dropped, whatever!

This is an easy way to keep around old dresses that you still like, but don't want to wear as a dress any more! Send me a picture of your refashioned dresses, and get featured on the blog!

Thanks! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment