Friday, March 29, 2013

Hope Cycle Refashions



Sex Trafficking.



What does that term make you think of?
Prostitution?
Something that happens in another country?

http://www.georgiafamily.com/articles.aspx?articleID=387
Do you think of a twelve year old girl who is raped and then blackmailed into a lifestyle of fear and pain?
Do you think of a sixteen year old who meets a boyfriend online, goes to meet him, and is kidnapped and shipped from motel to motel and sold every night to countless men?
Do you think of twenty year olds who have tried to run away, and are beaten, raped, tortured, or forced to watch the other girl get tortured?

This is happening in our towns, in our downtowns, on our docks, within our borders. According to the FBI, Human Trafficking "is the fastest-growing business of organized crime and the third-largest criminal enterprise in the world." The majority of youth who become victims of sex trafficking either live on the street or come from homes where they were abused or abandoned. The average age females are first victimized is 12-14, and for boys and 'transgendered' youths it is 11-13. (source)

It is a dark world, full of evil, evil people.

But we have a very good God! Even though sin reigns in the hearts of men, God is in control. He hates wickedness. He has the power to stop all evil at once, but God is incredibly patient and loving and not willing that any should perish - and He is also a just God who says that there are consequences for sin (ie, there are victims - both the sinner and others around them). I think it is also true that God will not generally do by miracle what we are to do by obedience.

Who was it who once said that evil will reign when good men sit by and do nothing?

LET'S DO SOMETHING.

I'm poor and busy. You might be, too. But I want to do something to make an impact and fight against Sex Trafficking in America.

Enter Hope Cycle Refashions.

Follow us on Facebook!

Hope Cycle is an online store I created where donated or thrifted clothes (mainly dresses) are refashioned into more wearable items. All profit from the sales will be donated to The Polaris Project and an as-yet-undecided Christian group or safe house.

What can you do?
Hope Cycle isn't just my project - I need your help!

*Donate clothes
   As previously stated, I'm poor. Without donations, Hope Cycle will cease to exist.

*Volunteer as a model
   It's hard to find people who are willing to let me take their picture! I need YOU!

*Volunteer as a co-creator
   Hope Cycle isn't taking off as fast as I'd wish, since I'm working full-time. If you'd like to help me refashion dresses, I'd love the help!

*Pray
  Pray for the victims. Pray for the abusers. Pray for the policemen/authorities who are hunting them down. Pray for the counselors and safe-house workers who will try to rehabilitate the victims. Pray that YOU will have the boldness to give the love of Jesus to whomever you meet!
  Pray for Hope Cycle. I want this to be used of God, and not just another charity knock-off. I want souls to be saved, as well as lifestyles changed. Pray that God will give me wisdom as I look for a Christian organization or safe-house to donate to, and possibly work with.

Our God is good and powerful; let's see what He will do! Let's give hope to the hopeless!




5 comments:

  1. Saw your info on a friend's facebook page - this is such a great idea! I live in Michigan, but I would love to help you as a model or with some "remodel" projects if you are ever in the area. (I've worked as a seamstress & costume designer.)

    God bless you in what you are doing!

    - Marilyn Burns


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilyn, thank you so much for your offer! I'll be sure to look you up if I'm ever in MI!

      Delete
  2. What you are doing is great, Holly. This is a haunting but well-written article, and I hope I can help in some way. Just let me know!

    - Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah - I'm excited to get together with you and do some photography! :D Just need to finish more dresses!

      Delete
  3. Holly, I love what you are doing and I was thinking of doing a similar thing but to raise awareness for fibromyalgia. Maybe we could collaborate as this seems such a worthy cause. I was thinking maybe the profit is donated to the sex trafficking charity and maybe sending a leaflet about fibro with the item? I am going to be making a lot of clothes in all shapes and sizes. I live in England so I could be doing the same as you but on this side of the world. Tackling as many sex trafficking organisations as possible.
    Let me know, email me angel_fairy_dust69@hotmail.com or leave a message on my facebook page angelfairydust refashions uk
    Thanks
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete